NLM VSAC Publishes Updated Electronic Clinical Quality Measure Value Sets for 2018 Reporting. NLM Tech Bull. 2018 May-Jun;(422):e2.
On May 4, 2018, the National Library of Medicine (NLM) Value Set Authority Center (VSAC), in collaboration with the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) and Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), published the electronic clinical quality measure (eCQM) annual update for the 2019 reporting period for Eligible Hospitals and Critical Access Hospitals (CAH) & the 2019 performance period for Eligible Professionals & Eligible Clinicians. CMS updates the specifications annually to align with current clinical guidelines & code systems so they remain relevant & actionable within the clinical care setting. These updated eCQMs are fully specified & are to be used to electronically report 2019 clinical quality measure data for CMS quality reporting programs. Measures will not be eligible for 2019 reporting unless & until they are proposed & finalized through notice-and-comment rulemaking for each applicable program.
VSAC eCQM Value Set Resources
Where to Find the 2019 eCQM Value Sets
Access to these resources requires a Free Unified Medical Language System® Metathesaurus License.
- VSAC Downloadable Resources: Prepackaged downloadable files (.xlsx and .xml) for the entire set of the updated 2019 eCQM Value Sets.
- NEW! Direct Reference Codes: Single terminology codes, specified within the Data Criteria section of an eCQM Health Quality Measure Format (HQMF) file, that describe data elements. CMS includes single direct reference codes in addition to the specified value sets. These direct reference codes are not included within the value sets. Reference the eCQM HQMF files, hosted at the CMS eCQI Resource Center, to understand how these single direct reference codes operate within each measure.
- VSAC URL: Browse, filter & download specific eCQM value sets.
- Application Programming Interface (API): Programmatically retrieve value sets.
Questions about accessing eCQM value sets? Contact NLM Customer Service.
Electronic Clinical Quality Measure Resources
CMS has updated eCQMs for potential inclusion in the following programs:
- The Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting (IQR) Program
- The Medicare Promoting Interoperability Program (formerly known as the Medicare Electronic Health Record [EHR] Incentive Program)
- The Medicaid Promoting Interoperability Program (formerly known as the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program)
- Quality Payment Program: The Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) & Advanced Alternative Payment Models (Advanced APMs)
- Comprehensive Primary Care Plus (CPC+)
What’s New for 2019 Reporting/Performance
Use of Clinical Quality Language (CQL): eCQMs for 2019 reporting will be expressed using the new CQL standard for logic expression & will continue to use the Quality Data Model (QDM) as the conceptual model to express clinical concepts. Refer to the QDM v5.3 Annotated version (opens as a PDF) & current version of the CQL standard to better understand how they work together to provide eCQMs that are human-readable & structured for electronic processing.
eCQM Reading Guide (opens as a PDF): This updated resource assists stakeholders in interpreting & understanding eCQMs. The guide provides information on eCQMs such as file naming conventions, understanding an eCQM human-readable rendition, QDM data criteria, value sets, & more.
Where to Find the Updated eCQM Measure Specifications
The updated measure specifications are available on the eCQI Resource Center for Eligible Hospitals & Critical Access Hospitals & Eligible Professionals & Eligible Clinicians under the 2019 Reporting/Performance Year.
Provide Feedback on the Updated Measures
To report questions & comments regarding the updated measures, visit the eCQM Issue Tracker. Note that an ONC Issue Tracking System account is required to ask a question or comment.
For More Information
To find out more about eCQMs, visit the eCQI Resource Center.