Wilder V. UMLS 2018AA Release Available. NLM Tech Bull. 2018 May-Jun;(422):e1.
The 2018AA release of the Unified Medical Language System (UMLS) Knowledge Sources is available for download as of May 7, 2018.
The 2018AA Metathesaurus contains approximately 3.67 million concepts & 14 million unique concept names from 203 source vocabularies.
One new source:
- MED-RT (Medication Reference Terminology)
One new NCI sub-source:
- NCI_CTRP-SDC (NCI Clinical Trials Reporting Program)
- This release includes the final update of NDF-RT. Note that MED-RT is its successor.
Sixty-three English sources & 40 translation sources were updated. These include MeSH, MedDRA, RxNorm, & SNOMED CT® (English and Spanish). A complete list is available in the Updated Sources section of the Release Documentation. For more detailed information on changes in this version of the Metathesaurus, see the Updated Sources (Expanded) section. Additional release statistics may be found in the Statistics section.
SPECIALIST Lexicon & Lexical Tools
- The release includes the updated SPECIALIST Lexicon (2018 Release).
- The release includes the updated Lexical Tools (2018 Release) which integrate data from the SPECIALIST Lexicon, 2018 Release. The Lexical Tools include the Full & Lite versions of lvg.2018.
- The Metathesaurus index files were processed using the updated lvg files.
- The updated SPECIALIST Lexicon & Lexical Tools feature synonym enhancements that include changes to their file structure. See the SPECIALIST Lexicon & Lexical Tools Web sites for details about these file changes & other updates.
- The full release requires 28.2 GB of disk space.
Reported bugs may be viewed on the Release Notes & Bugs URL.
MetamorphoSys can generate custom load scripts for MySQL, Oracle, or Microsoft Access when creating a Metathesaurus subset or installing the Semantic Network. Instructions are available on the UMLS Load Scripts homepage.
To access the UMLS Release files, you must have an active UMLS Metathesaurus License & a valid UTS account. You will be prompted for your UTS username and password when downloading the files.
UMLS Learning Resources
2018AA Source Release Documentation Web pages are available.
Additional information regarding the UMLS is available on the UMLS homepage. New users are encouraged to take the UMLS Basics Tutorial & to explore the UMLS Quick Start Guide, & other training materials.
In addition, the UTS SNOMED CT Browser now features the March 2018 US Edition of SNOMED CT.